Wednesday 9 January 2008

Trying to be Witty

Recently I have been playing with Wt ( Witty - http://webtoolkit.eu ) which is a fascinating C++ based framework for building web applications, based around the Tolltech QT programming model.  Witty does not require you to have QT installed, as it supplies its own frameworks.

The most interesting part of Witty, is the way it totally abstracts the browser interface, allowing you to write apps as though they where standard QT based desktop applications, but running instead on a server with a web browser as a client. 

Unless you have a fully supported OS (currently Windows and Linux), Witty is a bugger to install, but after a load of hassle I eventually managed to get it installed on my MacBookPro under OS X 10.4.11.

However Witty presents me with something of a personal dilemma ( My background is in C++ based serverside systems ), I had promised that 2008 was the year that I became an expert in Ruby and Rails, but now I am so tempted to postpone that. My heart says "Yeeeessssss" and is doing airpunches, but my Head says let it go, R&R is the way to go. 

Whats an aging technogeek to do? 

No comments: